Citizen Resources

Community First

Below you will find helpful links to our Citizen Forms to Compliment an officer, file a complaint and links to useful information.  If you have any questions feel free to call, email or come by the Administration Complex.

Compliment an Officer

At NCPC we want to here from citizens and have an open dialogue at all times.  When one of our officers goes above and beyond or otherwise impresses you on their dedication, please let us know.  You can submit a compliment to an officer by clicking the button below.  Fill out the form and hit submit and the information will be sent directly to the Command Staff.  We want to commend our officers for a job well done.  

Citizen Complaint Procedure

  • It is the policy of the North County Police Cooperative to investigate all complaints of alleged employee misconduct, and to equitably determine whether or not the allegations are valid or invalid and to take appropriate action. Complaints will be
    accepted via telephone, in written form or verbally. Whenever possible, a complaint should be reduced to writing. Written complaints do not have to be signed by the complainant.
  • All complaints, written or oral, anonymous, signed, or unsigned will be reviewed by the Chief of Police to determine if sufficient evidence exists to warrant further investigation. Written Complaints: All citizen complaints will be investigated. Signed complaints will be recorded on the Allegation of Employee Misconduct Report Form 056. Unsigned complaints will be recorded on a department memorandum form. All Misconduct Reports or memorandum complaints will be forward to the Chief’s Office as soon as received. Complainants will be provided with a completed copy of the Allegation of Employee Misconduct report.
  • It is the responsibility of the department member taking the complaint to: Courteously and promptly record any complaint made by a citizen against any officer of the department. Ask the person if he or she wishes to speak with a supervisor now. Officers may attempt to resolve the complaint, but will never attempt to dissuade any citizen from lodging a complaint. Officers will follow established Department General Orders for processing complaints and will notify the on duty supervisor commander of the complaint.
  • Complaints that deal solely with innocence or guilt of a complainant involved in a criminal arrest or who has been issued a traffic citation, not involving a violation of departmental rules or an allegation of a law violation against the officer, should not be considered complaints.  These matters should be resolved in court.
  • If the investigation reveals that the complaint was made maliciously, in bad faith, steps will be taken, whenever possible, to prosecute the complainant for making a false report of a law violation.