City of Wellston, Missouri
Wellston was incorporated as a city in 1909; and like many cities in their early conception, the city was dissolved three years later, only to be reestablished in 1949. The city was named for Erastus Wells.
During the early 1900s, the Wagner Electric Company, a manufacturer of small motors for appliances and transformers, began development along Plymouth Avenue in Wellston, growing to occupy the entire block and providing 4,500 jobs during World War I. North of the Wagner site, ABEX Corporation built a steel foundry that began operation in 1923.
In the 1950’s, during the pinnacle of the City of St. Louis’ population, Wellston thrived as an industrial leader and major destination of shopping. The St. Louis Street Car line was located nearby which provided transportation to the area. During the years that followed, tragically the streetcars left and the industry began declining.
In 1982 ABEX moved out of its Wellston location; the next year, the Wagner Electric Company closed its doors. After closure, the area was hit hard by several instances. St. Louis County Economic Council applied grants to demolish five buildings and clean up 15 acres of the Wagner brownfield land along the MetroLink so that it could be made marketable as the Plymouth Industrial Park.
The future of Wellston looks good as the opportunities for development are ready to go.
Sgt. Darren Woods
- Sgt. Woods has twenty three (23) years of police experience and has been with the NCPC for five (5) years.
- Sgt. Woods is the Interim Precinct Commander for the NCPC’s City of Wellston and Velda Village Hills Precincts. Sgt. Woods is also a Field Training Officer (FTO)
- Sgt. Woods’ prior police commission was with the University City (MO) Police Department
- Sgt. Woods was named the June 2021 Officer of the Month and has received numerous letters and certificates of appreciation.
- When asked about the concept of the North County Police Cooperative, Sgt. Woods said, “It is awesome and humbling to serve the communities of North County. The NCPC provides the highest level of service to it’s citizens.”